Today is the happiest day of the year for skiers and snowboarders; winter is here and the first days on New Zealand slopes are just around the corner. With ski fields across the country already reporting a good base, the 2011 New Zealand ski season is bound to be a cracker! But it’s not only snowsports enthusiasts who can look forward to the season. With an abundance of winter activities there is something to warm everyone’s heart! Check out our Top 10 Winter Activities:
1. Go skiing and snowboarding at one of New Zealand’s 26 ski areas.
2. Go on a winter wonderland walk in the winter sun – New Zealand’s national parks aren’t only stunning in summer! Pack a hot thermos for a cup of tea on the way.
3. Try out some of New Zealand’s snow adventure activities. Snowshoeing, snow-kiting and tubing are great fun and so are ice skating and ice climbing. A dog sled tour is the ultimate winter animal encounter.
4. Take the plunge and have a go at the unique thrill of heli skiing.
5. Visit New Zealand’s top museums. Ranging from aviation to history, from fashion to classic cars, there’s something for every taste. Interactive kids’ discovery centres make sure the young’uns won’t get bored either.
6. Cuddle up in one of New Zealand’s boutique cinemas.
7. Sip a glass of mulled wine by the open fire of a cosy pub or go for a hearty meal in a restaurant with views of snow-capped mountains.
8. Attend one of New Zealand’s first-class winter events – the American Express Queenstown Winter Festival, Ohakune Mountain Mardi Gras, Gay Ski Week NZ and the 100% Pure NZ Winter Games are just some of the highlights.
9. Soak your body in one of New Zealand’s geothermal hot pools. Look out over snowcapped peaks and misty forests as you relax in the soothing hot water.
10. Go whale watching or swim with dolphins. The water is clearest during winter months – you just have to wear a good wetsuit.